I don’t think you can beat a magazine subscription, the excitement each month as you return home from work and find a fresh copy on the doormat. Outdoor magazines are a great way to find out about camping gear, find ideas for adventure and be generally inspired to get off the sofa!
Here are a few of our must reads…
Trail Magazine describes itself as the UK’s Bestselling hillwalking magazine, it specialises in the UK and Europe, following different routes and adventures. A favourite for us is there regular Gear guide where the review the latest in walking and camping equipment, or all brands of one product to identify the best.
As an example of its content the August 2015 issue includes -
- Gateway to a Getaway - a really wild adventure in Glen Affric.
- Shy Mountain - find a secret view in the Lake District.
- A Walk in the Woods - Lakeland ghyll scrambling with Alan Hinkes .
- Chain Reaction - linking multiple scrambles in Snowdonia.
- No Pain No Dorain - a daftly steep ascent in the South Highlands.
- Mountain of Mountains - the 150 year anniversary of the first ascent of The Matterhorn.
- Mountain Guide - Skills and knowledge for better hill days
- Gear - The latest kit, exciting products and in-depth reviews.
- Routes - Walks from the UK with guides, mapping and GPS data
Country Walking Magazine
Country Walking Magazine shows the beauty of Britain. With everything from low level walks to challenging hikes, a key highlight of the magazine is the route cards. Each month there are at least 26 routes printed on a stronger glossy card/paper that you can cut out from the magazine and save. These routes use Ordnance Survey maps so you can be sure of where you are going.
As an example of its content the July 2015 issue includes -
- DIGITAL DETOX – go off the grid in the Lakeland wilderness of BACK O’ SKIDDA
- WILD CAMPING – get out and stay out on DARTMOOR
- Take the train to the wild Scottish yonder of LOCH OSSIAN
- AVEBURY TO STONEHENGE – make a weekend out of the epic Stones Way
- THE EDGE OF ESSEX – discover dark secrets and celebrity islands in the Blackwater Estuary
- WALKING IS REBELLION - why comedian MARK THOMAS wants you to loiter with intent
- GO LIGHT! The best lightweight kit for summer adventures
- The perfect walking weekend in PEEBLES
- Go car-free in Switzerland’s spectacular ALETSCH ARENA
- 27 POCKET-SIZED ROUTE CARDS: from teashop trail to mountain trek
Subscribe to Country Walking Magazine
The Great Outdoors
The Great Outdoors Magazine was formerly known as just TGO. It was first published in 1978 and has all the News, Gear, Routes and more that you would expect from an outdoors magazine.
In the August 2015 issue The Great Outdoors covers -
-The West Highland Way - Everything you need to know to take on this 100 mile route
-The Worlds Classic Trails - The Great Outdoors favourite long distance routes that can be life changing
- Britain’s Bothies - In celebration of the Mountain Bothies Associations 50th Birthday a tour of some of Britain’s finest Bothies.
- Wild Swimming with Ed Bryne - Hillwalking comedian Ed Bryne trys wild swimming
- Gear Reviews - This month Trail shoes, and Technical Sunglasses
- Hill Skills for Walking with Kids
So there you have it, some of our favourite magazines which give us a taste of the outdoors and help us plan adventure when we’re stuck indoors, leave a comment with your own favourites, as we’re always keen of a read.